Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Recipe for Success


I just recently read Personal Growth Plan by Jeff Higuera. You can read the article for yourself for the full benefit but I will outline it for you here briefly before I continue. Jeff discusses building a system to set yourself up for success. He includes goal setting and devoting time for spiritual and personal development. I agree with Jeff, in order to be successful you have to develop a plan. As a strength and conditioning coach I don’t just put athletes through a workout that I have developed five minutes prior – I have sat diligently planning to create the best possible program (in my opinion) to develop my athletes.  I look at development as development whether it’s self or athletically targeted. There must be a systemic approach and goal setting to truly create success. Just saying you will read tomorrow doesn't cut it, but viewing “X” books, podcasts and articles makes it concrete. Below is my plan for developing myself, my goal is currently to get into a Graduate Assistant position so all of my efforts is targeted currently at that.



Personal Development (Leadership/Teamwork/Business)
  • Read 20 minutes daily.
  • Read 1 Personal Development book every other month.
  • 1 piece of Audio content each month (a podcast, a audio book etc.).
  • Contact influential members of a Strength and Conditioning staff that I would like to do a GA at monthly. 
  • Receive feedback from multiple sources including mentors, peers and staff and implement it.
  • Journaling of thoughts and progress made during the year.

Professional Development (Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics, Sports Nutrition, Etc.) 
  • Read 5 blog posts per day.
  • Read 1 Professional Development book every other month.
  • Watch/Listen to 1 type of audio or visual strength and conditioning content per week.
  • Build a relationship with a Professional Mentor to both learn from and network through every year.
  • Attend one conference per year.
  • Receive feedback from multiple sources including mentors, peers and staff and implement it.
  • Journaling of thoughts and progresses made during the year.

While I used Jeff’s skeleton to sculpt my development plan I omitted several things to cater towards what my goal is, preparing myself to apply for a Graduate Position. I hope this has been helpful in any shape way or form to help you develop your own system to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment